Yep, you read that right. Not only does your home security system deter would-be thieves, it saves money on your electricity bill. Turn off the kitchen light since no one’s in there right now, and pull up a chair. Here are six reasons to love your home security system even more.
1. Right this way, Goldilocks, for a temperature that’s just right. Your home will never run too hot or too cold again. HVAC is where you spend most of your energy dollar, and a security system can help you heat or cool as efficiently as possible. With your home security system, you can program HVAC to come on and off at your convenience. Cool or heat the house for when you’re going to be home. Raise or lower your thermostat to save money when you’re not.
2. Play the zone, baby, and block high energy bills.You can program your HVAC to actually close a zone off – not heat or air condition an area-when no motion is detected in that part of your house. How cool is that?
3. It’s a tankless job, but someone has to do it. Tankless water heaters save energy, but their disadvantage is that they require a 45-second delay in hot water arriving. Not any more! With a motion detector in the bathroom, a recirculating pump alerts the water heater to start. Voila! Now your hot shower is ready when you are.
4. Choose light duty. You can also program your lights to turn off and on as you choose. Imagine the lights by your driveway and sidewalk coming on as your car turns into the driveway. When you’re on vacation, you can pre-program your lights to turn off and on to make it look like someone’s at home. With one efficient step, you save energy and deter robbers.
5. It rains every third night at 6 p.m. Actually, it’s the sprinkler and moisture system programmed to water your tomato plants. If your area has certain times of the day when water or electricity use is cheaper, your security system can help you take advantage of the savings.
6. Change your mind? Use your smart phone. Maybe the meeting was shorter than you anticipated, and you’re coming home sooner rather than later. Log into the system from your smart phone and change the settings to suit and welcome yourself. Honey, I’m home!
Integrating energy management into a home security system has never been simpler. Questions? Contact the security experts nearest you. Let them help you set up the system that best meets your needs.